I have been hired as a PHP programmer multiple times to write custom import scripts for various client’s websites. The most recent project was for a company in the radio broadcasting industry. They needed a website solution to easily aggregate playlists from their radio stations by uploading csv files through a web form.
I coded a script with the following functionality:
- A user had to log in to access the import script.
- A report of prior data the user had submitted is viewable once logged in.
- An HTML form was coded to allow uploads of csv files. Validation was added to check for the proper data format.
- The csv file was parsed, and data inserted or updated in the database. A running log of additions and updates was kept during the import process.
- Once the import was complete, a summary of all changes were displayed to the user.
- A new report showing the updated data then displayed.
Coding this PHP import script will save my client hours of manually having to accumulate data on a regular basis and then manually import it into a database.
When the project was complete, the client said “Wow, this is perfect! I’m sure I will have more work for you in the near future.”
Contact me if you need a custom script written to upload data on your website.